This weekend’s proceedings are being kicked off with Prince Alzain & Dissent who are both running at Epsom today in the the 7f 0-100 handicap. Prince Alzain will be looking to put his latest run behind him and continue his upward curve. We have dropped him back considerably in trip and he will be running in a hood in an effort to keep him calm in the prelims.
Dissent has come on a lot since his run at Doncaster, and we are hoping he will settle well enough to finish his race. He has a lot of potential but we do think the race will benefit his fitness and experience.
On Saturday, the big horse Hallmark Star will be lining up against 13 others in the ever competitive Edinburgh Cup handicap. He is yet to win a race but keeps putting in massive efforts and is going to be winning before long so it would nice if could get off the mark in this valuable handicap. It’s a very tough race and it’s always a tactical one but we are pleased with our boy and know he will give it 100%.
Back at Epsom, Star Date, fresh from his impressive win at Ripon will be running in the Diamond Jubilee stakes. It’s a big step up in class but he has always shown us both at home and on the track that he is more than capable of holding his own in better company. His confidence took a massive boosting at Ripon and he has been training very well at home. Darren Egan will be giving him an extra chance by claiming 5lbs off his back. He is a very uncomplicated horse but we will need a lot of luck around that Tattenham Bend!
Zaina has recovered well after she over heated at Goodwood last week. She has been enjoying some relaxation time in the paddock and seems to be doing fine now. It was a scary moment for all concerned and we are glad to have her back in one piece.
Cala Santanyi ran a nice race for us up at Carlisle. The ground was a little fast for her and whilst she went on it, she is more affective with a bit more give underfoot. She tried her hardest which is all you can ask for and she has come home in terrific shape. She holds an entry at Kempton next week so we will see how she is before hand before we decide whether to go or not.